Advanced Physical Chemistry Worksheet Essay Assignment
Competitive inhibition of enzymes has the mechanism
E+S↔X (k1 forward, k-1 reverse)
X à P + E (k2)
E+I↔EI (k3 forward, k-3 reverse)
XI ↔X +I (k4 forward, k-4 reverse)
- Write the expression for
(you do not need to solve this or simplify it).
- For the above reaction [E]0=
- = is the solution to this mechanism. If you did a Lineweaver Burke plot of this equation, the slope would be________________ and the intercept would be__________________.
- The initial rates of enzyme reactions level off with increasing substrate concentration because: (you should evaluate whether each of the following statements are true or not and be able to explain your reasoning).
- too much substrate inhibits the reaction
- at high substrate concentration all the enzyme is tied up with substrate
- the substrate reacts with the products at high concentrations
- the steady state approximation fails
5.Consider a polymer formed by a chain process. By how much does the kinetic chain length change if the concentration of initiator decreases by a factor of 10.0 and the concentration of monomer increases by a factor of 5.0?
6.If you had ethylene glycol and adipic acid as your compounds to form a stepwise (condensation) polymer, show what the structure of the polymer would look like.
Ethylene glycol is HOCH2CH2OH
Adipic acid is
7.The first-order rate constant for the decomposition of a certain substance is 1.70×10–2 s–1 at 30ºC and 2.88×10–2 s–1 at 37ºC. Determine the activation energy and Arrhenius constant. Also calculate the activation parameters. Please see the attached file project 3+4 which has the rest of questions.