An Organizing Framework for Health Promotion Action
There is a 5th assessment element which includes how well you have structured and developed your analysis.
This includes assessment of your sources (range, citation standards, quality and relevance); evidence of critical thinking; evidence of awareness and bias in sources; and whether your own position is being developed with a logical, coherent and well supported argument. It also includes grammatical structure, clear layout, appropriate and consistent referencing.
Use these 4 headings (they are included in the word limit):
The ‘Generic’ Strategy
The Strategy Applied in Action
Best Practice: Planning, Evaluation
Best Practice: Ottawa Charter in Action
Presenting and submitting the assessment
Present your assignment as 4 answers to 4 questions. Write professionally as if you were to publish your answers – do not just provide a list of texts corresponding to points in the assignment outline.
The total word count should not exceed 2000 words, excluding references. Assignments over the word limit will be subject to penalty (they will be dropped a grade).
Learning outcomes addressed
Critically appraise the scope for health promotion action in regard to the determinants of health;
Appreciate the Ottawa Charter as an organizing framework for health promotion action;
Examine current global issues and their relevance across the span of the health promotion profession;
Identify and critically review the conceptual underpinnings and main characteristics of some common health promotion strategies, and determine the advantages and disadvantages of each; and
Analyze the main issues involved in planning, implementation and evaluation of health promotion and determine best practice.
1. The ‘generic’ strategy Fails to define the main characteristics of the strategy Basic description of the main characteristics of the strategy Good description of the main characteristics of the strategy. Some discussion of conceptual theoretical underpinnings and values and assumptions of the strategy included
Thoughtful description of the main characteristics of the strategy, bringing in analysis and discussion of the conceptual theoretical underpinnings and values and assumptions of the strategy
Demonstrates sophisticated analysis and thoughtful consideration of the conceptual/ theoretical underpinnings and values and assumptions of the generic strategy
2. The Strategy Applied in Action
Fails to describe the specific initiative Basic description of the specific initiative addressing how it is an example of this strategy Good description of the specific initiative. Some analysis of conceptual/ theoretical underpinnings and clear discussion of adaptation to context, frameworks used Very good description of the specific initiative demonstrating sound analysis of conceptual/ theoretical underpinnings and clear discussion of adaptation to context, frameworks used
Excellent description of specific initiative, demonstrating critical analysis of the conceptual/ theoretical underpinnings and insightful discussion of adaptation to context, frameworks
3. Best practice. Planning, Evaluation Insufficient discussion of best practice principles Superficial discussion of best practice principles, addressing some, but not all elements. Basic discussion of initiative’s shortcomings and suggested improvements Sound discussion of best practice principles addressing planning, evaluation and challenges. Good discussion of initiative’s shortcomings and suggested improvements Clear and articulate discussion of how initiative relates to best practice. Thorough analysis of contextual challenges to meeting best practice and thoughtful critiques with appropriate suggestions for improvement. Insightful and eloquent discussion of initiative in relation to best practice principles. Critiques and analysis conducted show in-depth understanding of the initiative’s shortcomings and provides thoughtful suggested improvements.
4. Best practice, Ottawa Charter in Action
Fails to discuss the context or target group of the initiative. No discussion of the Ottawa Charter Limited discussion of the context and/or target group of the initiative. Some superficial references to the Ottawa Charter. Sound discussion of how initiative addresses local context and/ or target group. Some analysis of initiative in relation to Ottawa Charter. Some discussion of evident secondary strategies
Very good discussion of how initiative addresses local context and/ or target group using specific examples to illustrate points. Sound analysis of initiative in relation to Ottawa Charter specifically addressing the need for multi-sectoral and multi-strategy design and action. Good discussion of evident secondary strategies Excellent discussion of how initiative addresses local context/ and or target group using specific examples ad literature to demonstrate knowledge. Engaging analysis of initiative in relation to Ottawa Charter, with reference to appropriate literature and thorough review of the initiative and discussion of evident secondary strategies
5. Critical Analysis and paper structure
Report has not met the requirements of the task. Assignment fails to meet standards of formatting and referencing. Demonstration of the basic aspects of writing a critique but could be further developed with better use of literature. Some important aspects of the assignment have been addressed superficially. Assessment criteria have been sufficiently addressed, however the overall standard is no more than satisfactory. Report is logical, coherent and addresses key criteria. Some good arguments made, drawing on appropriate literature.