Career Choice Description Counseling Paper
Write a 3–4-page paper that describes a counseling career of interest to you. In the paper, present a specific recent job posting. Explain the requirements for the position, and describe the skills needed, the credentials needed (degrees or certificates, et cetera), the setting of the job, and the populations that are served in the setting.
For this assignment, you will explore an area of counseling that you find interesting and that you may want to pursue as a career. It is a chance for you to become familiar with the type of job listings and titles associated with the specialization and its educational and skill requirements.
Begin with a search of job postings for a current counseling job of interest to you. In can be in any area of counseling, such as mental health, social work, marriage and family therapy, addictions, school counseling, career counseling, et cetera.
At the beginning of your paper, identify the employer, the job title, and the date of the job posting. You may use any search engine that lists counseling jobs, such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and CareerBuilder. If you have another search engine you prefer, you can use that for your search. Just be sure to find a recent job posting. It is a good idea to check for jobs in your geographic area so that you can see what types of opportunities there might be for you in the future. If you cannot find one of interest to you in your area, you can use another geographic area.
In your paper complete the following:
- Summarize the key aspects of the counseling specialization you have chosen. Think about how it is different from other specializations.
- Describe the job requirements, including the skills and credentials needed (for example, the type of bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree). If licensure is required, provide a brief overview of your state’s requirements (such as clinical hours, supervision required, licensure exam, etc.).
- Describe the settings in which the professional in this specialization might work, and the populations they might serve. For example, does this type of professional work in clinics, hospitals, schools, universities, private practice, social service agencies, et cetera, or a combination of settings? Who are their clientele? Do they serve a specific population or a variety of populations? Explain in your paper.
- Describe how your personal as well as professional goals are aligned with this career choice. Be sure to provide examples. Note: This portion can be written in first person since you are discussing your own personal and professional goals.
- Use professional or scholarly sources to support your work. The sources can help you develop your explanation of what specialists in the chosen area of counseling do, what types of settings they may work in, and what populations they may serve.