Fastest-Growing Education-Focused Software Retailer in North America
Launched in 2005 in Boston, Massachusetts, Academic Software has consistently been the fastest-growing education-focused software retailer in North America. It is committed exclusively to academic customers, offering thousands of full-version software titles at great discounts.
Academic Software has partnered with the top technology manufacturers, including Adobe, Microsoft, Sibelius, Sony Media Software, and Wacom, to offer excellent service and prices, which are available only to students, schools, and teachers. From the very beginning, Academic Software has relied heavily on technology to ensure a positive shopping experience for its customers. The company’s philosophy is simple:
Hire amazing people, give them the best tools, and help them deliver an unbeatable customer experience. One facet of Academic Software’s business that needs assistance is its database organization. You have been asked to assist Academic Software with creating a relational database structure for organizing software, vendors, and academic categories. Currently, this information is stored in an Excel spreadsheet, T6_AcademicSoftware_Data.xls, which Academic Software has provided to you.
Specifically, you are asked to:
- Create a Microsoft Access database.
- Create the tables, fields, data types, and primary key(s) for the database using the structure provided in the T6_AcademicSoftware_Data.xls file.
- Create the relationship(s) needed between the tables.
- Populate the database with the data provided in the T6_AcademicSoftware_Data.xls file.
- Special notes to use with the 4 questions from the workbook:
- Three tables will be created for this MS Access database according to the assignment instruction: Categories, Software, and Vendors
- Use the attached MS Excel file to populate the MS Access database file you will create for this assignment
- Software ID – Use as the primary key for the Software table.
- Create unique ID field for vendors and academic categories tables, which are to be used as the primary key: Vendors (e.g., Academic Software = AS) and Academic Categories (e.g., Math = MTH).