Gendered social practice theory assignment
Paper topics to choose from:
You could either choose or combine topics from I and II.
(You could also create a topic of your choice)
- Theory/ Concept paper:
- Gendered social practice theory
- Gender-Based Violence (Private vs. Public)
- Refugee insecurity
- Systemic oppression and gender discrimination
- Rape as a weapon of war
- Women Mis-representation in specific communities or cultures.
- Psychoanalytical Feminism
- Post-colonial Feminist Theory
- Sexual Contract
- Transnational Feminism
- Post-structural Feminist Theory
Types of questions to answer when writing your theory/concept paper:
- When and how was this concept introduced? (Provide background information/ Statement of Facts and Theorists feminist involved)
- What does this concept mean? (Explain the main argument)
- Proof (Provide pros arguments)
- Refutation (Provide Cons arguments)
- Conclusion (Synthesize your own reflection and argument)
- Issue paper:
- Women representation on the Web
- Honor Killings in Pakistan
- Acid Violence in Bangladesh
- Campus sexual assault in the United States
- Intimate Partner Violence in…. ( choose a country)
- Domestic Violence in the United States
- Female Mutilation/Circumcision in … choose a country
- Sex Trafficking in the United States
- Cyber-sex trafficking in the Philippines
- Curative rape in South Africa
- Dowry violence in India
Types of questions to answer when writing your topic paper:
- You want to answer questions about prevalence, frequency, and duration (e.g. How often does the problem occur? How long has this been going on? Has the problem worsened over time? etc). Make sure to include statistics here
- Describe how individuals in this country and various cultures within this country conceptualize and think about this topic(s)?
- What are the current laws and punishments that impact your topic(s) in this country?
- How is this topic(s) relevant to issues regarding intersectionality/intersecting identities in this country? Choose two identities. For example: in what ways is this topic relevant and impacted by race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, class, religion, etc in this country?
- List and describe at least two different systems, institutions, or processes that contribute to this issue/ problem (for example capitalism, globalization, culture, poverty, politics, technology, military presence/war, history of colonialism, etc)
- Identify a non-profit organization or non-governmental organization that is addressing your topic(s) in this country. What are their goals/missions? How successful have they been?
- What else can be done to address the topic(s) you have highlighted?
- Minimum 5 pages (not including references and cover page)
- Use white 8 ½ x 11” paper.
- Make 1-inch margins on the top, bottom, and sides
- The first word in every paragraph should be indented one-half inch.
- APA recommends using Times New Roman font, size 12.
- Double-space the entire research paper
- Include a page header known as the “running head” at the top of every page. (To make this process easier, set your word processor to automatically add these components onto each page)
- To create the running head/page header, insert page numbers justified to the right-hand side of the paper (do not put p. or pg. in front of page numbers)
- Then type “TITLE OF YOUR PAPER” justified to the left using all capital letters
- If your title is long, this running head title should be a shortened version of the title of your entire paper
Paper Rubric Guidelines:
- (30%) LENGTH. Each answer should be approximately 300 words in length. For example, if your Discussion 2 assignment requires you to answer 2 discussion questions, your entry for that week should be 600 words in length total (at least 300 words for each of the 2 questions for that week)
- (50%) COMPREHENSION. Demonstrate an understanding and application of the course readings and any other outside reading you may choose to use to answer the question.
- (20%) REFERENCES. You MUST cite using at least 1 citation per question: • All discussion postings are expected to integrate information from at least one of the readings, class materials, and/or from an outside empirical or reputable news source. You should cite both within the text and provide a full reference at the bottom of your post.