Medical Patient Education and Counseling Article Analysis
- In your own words, summarize the purpose of this article. What did you learn? What are you interested in learning more about? Should be at least one paragraph in length.
- In your own words, explain Figure 1 “NIMHD Minority Health and Health Disparities Research Framework”.
3. It is stated that “Quality PPC rests on seven basic principles: mutual respect, harmonized goals, a supportive environment, appropriate decision partners, the right information, transparency and full disclosure, and continuous learning”. Select one of these principles and elaborate on an experience you have had with your practitioner. Explain if it was effective. If it was, explain what made it a positive experience. If it was negative, explain what you think needed to change to be more effective.
4. Select one of the following: limited language proficiency; low health literacy or low digital literacy. Provide an example of how this patient factor could be positively addressed by a clinician and why it would be effective.
5. Select one of the clinician factors: cultural competency; poor communication skills; or unconscious bias. Elaborate on your own experience with clinicians regarding this factor. In what ways might clinicians learn to enhance their abilities of this factor in developing relationships with their patients.
6. Take into consideration healthcare systems. Explain what strides should be made to increase access to language services. In your own experience, have you witnessed any of these services? If so, what were they and do you think they were effective. If you have not, then elaborate on which you think would be most effective based on your location.