Statistical Significance Discussion Essay Assignment
According to the Community Tool Box (n.d.), when it comes to statistics, the term significance has a particular content. The level of confidence you can have in the response you obtain is determined by the statistical significance of the outcome. In general, researchers do not believe a finding is significant unless it indicates at least a 95% likelihood that it is correct which is known as the. 05 level of significance, because there’s a 5% possibility that it’s incorrect (CTB, n.d.).
Therefore, an example of how statistical significance was determined regarding my policy analysis project would be the Crifaisi et al. (2018) study between 1984 and 2015, which examined the effects of shall-issue laws and four other gun regulations on homicides in large, urban counties. The findings indicated that shall-issue laws were related to a significant rise in firearm homicide rates using a Poisson model that included year-fixed effects, random effects for counties, and county-level demographic and economic factors. The results concluded that counties should expect 1.04 times more firearm homicides (95-percent CI = 1.02, 1.06) when these regulations are implemented (Crifasi et al., 2018).
Community Tool Box. (n.d.). Collecting and Analyzing Data. (37) 5. https://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/evaluate/e…
Crifasi, C. K., Merrill-Francis, M., McCourt, A., Vernick, J. S., Wintemute, G. J., & Webster, D. W. (2018). Association Between Firearm Laws and Homicide in Urban Counties. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, 95(3), 383-390. doi:10.1007/s11524-018-0273-3
Respond to the bold paragraph ABOVE by using one of the option below… in APA format with At least two references and a minimum of 200 words….. .(The List of References should not be older than 2016 and should not be included in the word count.) Include at least one scholarly reference and appropriate in-text citations and Address all points on the DQ. One point will be deducted for not addressing each item mentioned above. Remember that presenting someone else’s work as your own is plagiarism.
Ask a probing question.
Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
Offer and support an opinion.
Validate an idea with your own experience.
Make a suggestion.
Expand on your colleague’s posting.
American Psychological Association. Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (7th Ed.). Washington, DC: Author.