superlatives and glowing descriptions assignment
You may choose any of these topics to research and write about. Pay attention to the guidelines spelled out in the Syllabus and in details in class. Use Font size 12/inch, leave 1inch margins on all sides ONLY, and do not include cover page. Start with clear introduction with specific objective. Avoid superlatives and glowing descriptions unless critically quoting in some context based on facts. Limit your use of quotes if you must have them to a total of 5 lines ONLY in the entire paper.
Ideally you should have a minimum of three references on each page. I will not accept sources from the open internet with .com, .gov., .edu, etc. Use citation style correctly and consistently in MLA, AP or Chicago Manual of Style. Do not list the entire URL of academic citations or the time these were consulted.
- Critical-assess the content on Michigan’s history in the Social Studies curricular for 4th graders. For example, do you consider the material balanced and accurate on First Nation history, settlement by Europeans, industrialization, global issues, and religions? You can limit your inquiry to one or more. In your view, which parts of the text advance student appreciation of Michigan history, which do not, and why? You might anchor your analysis in methods of multiculturalism and diversity in K-12 education, for example, the debate between ethnic loyalty vs. universal approaches in providing common tropes for remembering the past. Does the material reinforce positive self-image for pupils of all backgrounds?
- Describe the travels, qualities/flaws, and accomplishments of Étienne Brûlé. What makes Brûlé unique? Did his mannerism and experience invite hostility from other European settlers? Feel free to use discussions on Brule to distinguish French settlement from either British, Dutch, Scandinavian, or American colonists as part of your research.
- “New immigrants” (Great Migration from 1876-WW I) and Michigan. Relying on academic articles and books describe patters of settlement, work, leisure or other prominent feature in the lives of one of these groups: Mexican, Irish, Polish, Jewish, Dutch, English, Hungarians or any other group from the that block of immigrants. What were their contributions– cultural imprints on the local scene, economic or professional niche, cultural composite etc.? Restrict your research to Michigan and choose a focus.
- Arab Americans, though a neglected minority in literature, are a prominent block of immigrants in Southwest Michigan. These can be traced either to immigration between 1890 and1914 or to post-1965. Choose one wave and discuss one or several of these areas: their economic impact, distribution according to ethnic/national background, incomes, professions, immigration patterns and histories. Feel free to concentrate on one area or a prominent personality.
- Women Michiganians. Choose a prominent woman from Michigan’s past or present and tell us about her importance. Be critical.
- Mohawk matriarchy is unique. Describe the main elements of this social order in as much details as three pages allow. OR Michiganinan midwives (“Angels of Mercy”) OR Women in the Civil War OR Women and farming. Use peer reviewed academic sources.
- Civil War heroes/monuments commemorative displays. What can you tell us about a Michigan personality or an object related to the Civil War. Concentrate on a Michigan theme and context.
- Farm Houses dot the Michigan landscape. What can you tell us abut these structures; changes over time, types, uses. Include/concentrate on residences, silos, barns, etc.
- Report on the genesis and importance of the cereal food industry in Michigan. You can survey this topic, discuss the sanitariums, or discuss one area in as much details as three pages allow.
- Healthy environment is critical asset to any state. What can you say about (choose one) history of copper mining, fresh water
resources (i.e., the Great Lakes), clean energy and Michigan economy including development of hybrid automobiles by the main automakers.
- Area study of an ethnic enclave. Chose an area known for its cultural flavor, say, Frankenmuth, Holland, Corcktown or comparable location and describe its history and present importance.
- Dutch immigrants, American Indians, and land. How did Dutch settlers treat their Indian hosts? What were the outcomes for each group?
- Michigan’s role/importance in previous or upcoming presidential election. Michigan nearly lost state delegates to the national convention for moving the election earlier than scheduled. Describe the reasons behind this decision, the state’s pressing problems and overall prevailing sentiments in the recent presidential election. Trace Michigan’s history with the election from Clinton-Obama through the Presidential general election.